There are many sites which offfer vocabulary lists of Karate Japanese, but none of them quite have all the terms used by the club that I’m a member of. After a little begging I managed to get a comprehensive list and so now I’m putting it here where hopefully it will be helpful 🙂
- Junzuki – front punch.
- Geyakazuki – reverse punch.
- Junzuki notsa kami – leaning punch to the head.
- Geyakazuki notae kami – leaning punch to the groin.
- Negashazuki – slide across jab.
- Yuraken – backfist.
- Tomcommezuki – jab.
- Zenzenzi jodan tudan renzuki – slide jab reverse.
- Sureyashi zenzenzi jodan tudan renzuki – slide jab slide reverse.
- Surey comme zenzenzi jodan tudan renzuki – the blitz.
- Empey – elbow strike.
- Solakwontrow geyakazuki – change stance on the spot to reverse punch position.
- Geri – kick.
- Miageri – front kick.
- Mawashigeri – round kick.
- Yokogeri – side kick.
- Sokoto – also side kick but with the foot in a slightly diffrent postion. I think this one you strike with the heel rather than the blade of your foot.
- Urageri – hook kick.
- Mikazukageri – crescent kick.
- Giyakato geri – axe kick.
- Nidan geri – jumping front kick.
- Nidan giyakato geri – jumping axe kick.
- Asherageri – back kick.
- Ashera mawashigeri – spinning hook kick.
- Ashera yokogeri – turning side kick.
- Mitobageri – jumping front kick on the spot.
- Ashera nidan mikazukigeri – wheel kick.
- Ashera nidan mawashigeri – wheel kick (I’m not sure if these denote diffrent approaches to the same technique).
- Hashebri – front leg sweep.
- Ashera ashebri – spinning sweep (otherwise know as how to hurt your hip very fast).
- Geyaka – reverse.
- Jodanuki – head block.
- Gedamboroi – lower block.
- Ucheuki – inner block.
- Soteuki – outer block.
- Shutoki – shuto.
- Zenkutsu dachi – front stance.
- Kokutsu dachi – back stance.
- Kiba dachi – horse stance.
- Neko achi dachi – cat stance.
- Gyako neko achi dachi – reverse cat stance.
Some more useful terms
- Adarishezenti – left leg forward street fighting stance.
- Adaregami – left leg forward guard position.
- Mawate – turn.
- Jodan – head.
- Chudan – body.
- Heeza – knee.